Remember that zucchini glut this summer? We had so many I ended up freezing some so I wouldn’t have to deal with it. Last week, I took some grated zucchini from the freezer and made these muffins with buckwheat flour. Yum!
- measuring cups and spoons
- 1 mixing bowls and mixing spoon
- blender or food processor
- muffin tin with 12 2½-inch cups
- cooling rack
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar or xylitol
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2½ cup grated or puree zucchini
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce (or substitute apples pureed in blender)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate pieces
- Hot cocoa mix, or 50/50 powdered sugar and cocoa powder
- In a blender or food processor, mix zucchini, applesauce, cinnamon, sweetener, oil, and flax together.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix in an optional ½ teaspoon salt, then gradually stir in the wet ingredients. Batter should be somewhat lumpy.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until tops are firm and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with hot cocoa mix for decoration if desired.