- measuring cups and spoons
- 1 mixing bowl
- muffin tin with 12 2½-inch cups
- cooling rack
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2¼ cup grated carrots
- ¾ cups buckwheat flour
- ½ chickpea flour
- ½ rice flour
- 2 tablespoons xylitol or sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- In a blender, puree the applesauce with carrots, the flax seed, and the oil until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix the flours, baking soda and spices, as well as xylitol or sugar if you are using sweetener.
- Add the remainder of the carrots and mix until well blended.
- Pour the banana-carrot mixture into the bowl and stir until just blended.
- Use a spoon to drop the batter into a greased or lined muffin pan, filling each cup at least ¾ full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes in a 400°F oven. Muffins are ready when inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Set on a rack and cool.