I still have protein powder in my pantry, and no intention of ever drinking it. So I made more protein powder muffins this week, this time gluten-free. I used millet and buckwheat, the latter of which gives the muffins a hearty, whole-wheat-like flavor. I ground my own millet flour and left some of it coarse for texture.
If you don’t have protein powder, replace the ½ cup in the recipe with ¼ cup tablespoons + 1 tablespoon of a flour of your choice, two tablespoons sugar or xylitol, and two tablespoons cocoa powder.
- measuring cups and spoons
- 2 mixing bowls
- mixing spoon or electric mixer
- muffin tin with 12 2½-inch cups
- cooling rack
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ¾ cup millet flour
- ½ cup chocolate-flavored whey protein powder
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ⅔ cup pureed carrots
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chopped bittersweet baking chocolate or chocolate chips (optional)
- Mix pureed carrots, oil, vanilla, and yogurt.
- Mix together flours, cocoa, whey powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually stir in the wet ingredients until smooth-ish.
- Stir in chocolate pieces, if using.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin.
- Bake at 350°F for 17 minutes, or until the tops are firm and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on racks before eating.