I had a bunch of odds and ends in my fridge: an overripe avocado, half a banana, a spot of applesauce, some leftover millet and a bit of whey from making Greek yogurt. What could I make that used all of them? Muffins, of course!
Avocados are a great source of beneficial fats, including anti-inflammatory phytosterols and oleic acid, similar to the main fat found in olive oil. That makes them a nutritious substitute for butter and oils in baking. Along with the cocoa and fruit in this recipe, avocados also high in phytonutrients, such as carotenoids.
And in case you’re wondering: No, these muffins don’t taste like avocados. They taste like chocolate.
- 1 cup rolled oats (regular or quick)
- 1 cup cooked millet, cooled
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour (use white whole-wheat flour if available)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup xylitol or sugar
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed ripe banana, or a mix of the two
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons whey, nutmilk, or water
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- measuring cups and spoons
- 2 mixing bowls
- cookie sheet
- muffin tin with 12 2 ½-inch cups
- cooling rack
Making the muffins
- Toss the oats and millet and spread evenly on a cookie sheet or pie plate. Toast in a 400°F oven until slightly golden (12-15 minutes), stirring once or twice. Let cool.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the oats and millet mixture. Mix the rest with the other dry ingredients, including chocolate chips.
- Mix the avocado, banana or applesauce, liquid and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well-mixed. Batter should be somewhat lumpy.
- Spoon batter into lined or greased muffin tin. Fill each cup about three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle the tops with the oat and millet mixture that you set aside earlier.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on racks before eating.