I’ve been eating black raspberries at every meal now that they’re in season. They were in my oatmeal at breakfast, my yogurt at lunch, and in my salad at dinner. I love how they look next to the beets. The colors would make a lovely combination for a duotone quilt.
If only I had made the salad before the sun set, the picture would have turned out a lot nicer. But of course I got distracted with gardening and didn’t come in for dinner until dusk. The hazards of summer.
- 1 medium head of crisp green lettuce (like buttercrunch or romaine), washed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small beet, peeled and grated
- handful of fresh black raspberries
- 1 large slice of stale rustic bread, cubed and toasted on low heat until crunchy
- 1 part black raspberry wine vinegar (or substitute red raspberry or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 part good olive oil
- 2 parts plain yogurt (vegan or dairy)
- pinch of salt
- Put lettuce in a bowl.
- Put vinegar, oil, yogurt and salt in a bottle or jar and shake until blended. Pour over lettuce and toss.
- Grate the beet and sprinkle over salad.
- Sprinkle on croutons and raspberries.
- Enjoy! Makes one big dinner salad or 3-4 side salads. Refrigerate extra dressing for later use.
0 thoughts on “Recipe: Simple black raspberry salad”