I haven’t been around much lately thanks to a project that’s been keeping me busy, but things should start returning to normal in a month or so. In the meantime, a person’s gotta eat, so you’ll still be seeing some recipes from me – just not daily posts.
This chicken soup happened when I roasted a chicken that I apparently hadn’t thawed properly first. The thermometer told me the chicken was done, but when I cut into it – well let’s just say there were areas of it that were definitely not done.
So it was time for soup! Here’s the recipe:
- meat from a small-to-medium, cooked (or mostly cooked) chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth & 4 cups water OR 2 cups chicken stock & 6 cups water
- 2 cups pinto beans with cooking juices, or 1 can pinto beans
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 ounces whole grain rotini
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put everything but the pasta in the crockpot. Cook on high for 3-5 hours, or until soup has been simmering for at least half an hour.
- Add the pasta. Keep the soup going until the pasta is cooked (al dente to mushy, however you like it). For me, this took about half an hour