Winter is settling in here, which means it’s time for soup. A big bag of hominy caught my eye when I opened the freezer. Naturally, I decided to make pozole.
- 3 frozen chicken breasts, thawed
- 1 large white onion, skinned, chopped and sautéed in a little olive oil until translucent (sautéeing is optional, but the final product tastes better with it)
- 3-4 cups frozen or canned white hominy
- 1 red pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 10 cubes of frozen chicken or turkey stock (equivalent to about 1 cup)
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until chicken flakes apart easily with fork. Top with grated cheese, chopped fresh tomatoes, chopped avocado, and/or fresh cilantro.